The FC crew discredit Neymar's push for Barcelona to bring in Brazilian teammate Paulinho.
Unfortunately, the club decided not to replace Dani Alves when he left for Juventus last year.
Barcelona also hope that fellow Portuguese international Andre Gomes will help to welcome and settle Semedo should he make the move to the Nou camp.
After a disappointing last season, the club administration was heavily criticised for lack of depth in the squad.
Nelson Semedo had previously agreed to personal terms with Barcelona.
Semedo became a regular in Benficas first team since 2015 and appeared 63 times for them in the past two seasons, winning two Primeira Liga titles.
Barcelona have confirmed they have reached an agreement with Benfica to sign full-back Nelson Semedo, pending a medical.
Semedo, who is represented by Jorge Mendes' agency Gestifute, becomes Barca's third signing of the summer, following the decision to sign Marlon Santos on a permanent basis and promote him to the first team and the return of Gerard Deulofeu from Everton in a €12 million deal.
President Josep Maria Bartomeu stated this week that they hope to complete "two or three" deals before the window closes next month.
Samuel Marsden covers Barcelona for ESPN FC.
- La viral amistad entre una niña y una enorme serpiente pitón
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to debut on Aug. 23
- Venus, Muguruza Set Up Wimbledon Final Clash
- Williams earns spot in Wimbledon final
- Muere premio Nobel de la Paz Liu Xiaobo — China
- TB Rays Colby Rasmus on restricted list due to injury
- Carrick named to replace Rooney as skipper
- Ricardo Centurión no para: nueva y provocadora foto en las redes sociales
- El dólar baja tres centavos y cotiza a 17,18 pesos
- Saban speaks at SEC Media days