"Sir, are you a parent?"
Negotiations on a compromise school funding agreement are ongoing, Manar said.
Those were the questions I was confronted with by a young television reporter I didn't know as I walked to lunch last week in downtown Springfield.
I agreed to share my opinion.
Proponents of S.B. 1 say that every school district in the state will receive more state aid next year under its provisions. Rauner made substantial changes to the plan, which he has complained is a "bailout" for mismanaged Chicago schools.
Let's face it folks, Illinois has a horribly broken school funding system.
The Senate is set to gavel in on Sunday to address Rauner's veto. Andy Manar, D-Bunker Hill, center, as state Rep. Carol Ammons, D-Urbana, glances at a map of state school districts during a press conference Thursday, Aug. 10, 2017, at Urbana High School. In any event, school districts have already missed their first state aid payment of the school year, and could do without state aid for some time if the situation is not resolved.
"This seems to be politics, and the people affected are the low-income and the children", Alexander said.
The House will follow suit and meet on Wednesday.
In the 18 years I've covered the Illinois Legislature, I've seen this happen time and time again.
"The state is on the verge of making a historic change in the most inequitable funding formula ever developed in the United States, and the governor vetoed that legislation, and (Rauner's changes) would actually increase inequities and harm communities like Urbana and Champaign", Owen said of Senate Bill 1. Why the delay? He was hoping that the deadline of the approaching school year would pressure the governor into signing the measure. "It's tragic. We need to give everyone who wants to become an organ donor the opportunity to do so, and that's exactly what this bill does". "And to use students and families as a political pawn is unconscionable", he said.
- ¡México tiene competencia por Mundial 2026!
- 58 años en 10 frases inmortales — Fotos | Gustavo Cerati
- Verificación vehicular será obligatoria en 16 estados: SEMARNAT
- Peñarol enfrenta a Estudiantes, partido con historia y transmisión de Universal
- Arrestaron a una mujer que vendió la virginidad de su hija
- Rafa Márquez: Jugaré el partido más difícil de mi vida
- Policías asesinan a jovencita por presuntamente robar una camioneta en EDOMEX
- Explota fábrica de cohetes en Río Blanco, Zapopan
- Dimayor y Fiscalía piden transparencia en el fútbol profesional colombiano
- Edgar Rivera, primer mexicano en llegar a final en Mundial de Atletismo