Opening Day features eight divisional matchups among the 15 games, in addition to an interleague contest between the Detroit Tigers and host Pittsburgh Pirates.
March 29 also will represent the earliest start to a Major League season, excluding special international events.
Major League Baseball released its schedule for 2018, and for the first time ever, all 30 teams will be playing on Opening Day.
As part of the sport's new labor contract, each team's 162 games were scheduled over 186 days, up from 183. Also interesting is the fact that the teams with the six best records (as of September 12th) in the American League all open on the road, meaning that if one of these AL teams wins the World Series, they won't begin the 2018 season in front of their hometown fans.
The simplification of Opening Day isn't the only big change to the schedule. The Philadelphia Phillies will tangle with the Tampa Bay Rays on April 13-15 in a rematch of the 2008 World Series while the Cubs and Cleveland Indians will square off on April 24-25 in a rematch of the 2016 World Series.
Baseball is also going overseas in April, with the Twins "hosting" the Indians in San Juan, Puerto Rico for a pair of games on April 17th and 18th.
A spokesperson for MLB said in an email Friday the availability of a sufficient number of hotel rooms in New York City was behind the choice.
Along with the 2010 series, MLB has made three other appearances at Hiram Bithorn Stadium. Other than possible Spring Training matchups, those are expected to be the two chances to perhaps see Justin Verlander face his former team for the first time since being traded to Houston. This is thought to be one of the first completely free standalone games in MLB history. Clubs will again play 19 games against division opponents (76 total games) and either six or seven contests vs. nondivisional league opponents in home and home series (66 total games).
Clubs are either starting to accept season ticket deposits or will do so soon, so check individual club sites for details.
The time of Cincinnati's Opening Day will be announced at a later date. The schedule is subject to change.
- San Lorenzo ante Lanús
- Diputados federales donarán un día de su salario a damnificados de sismo
- Presidente Nicolás Maduro acepta invitación a diálogo por la paz
- Llega Joseph Acabá a la Estación Espacial Internacional
- Huracán Irma será "realmente devastador" en EE. UU., dice experto
- Colombia continúa la erradicación de cultivos de coca
- IPhone X: 8 New Features You'll Love & 3 You'll Hate
- Francia dice que en Santo Domingo habrá diálogo por Venezuela (?)
- Chavismo y oposición van al diálogo otra vez
- Apple may bring facial recognition to mainstream — The Latest