"It's a stolen base - I don't care how you look at it", said Bochy, a former catcher who stole one base in his nine-year playing career, but never home plate. I know that can be a good pitch.
The overriding sentiment around the Dodgers seems to be just get the season over with, and excellence will return in October. Of course, when you're in the tail spin the Dodgers have been lately those stats go out the window.
On Monday night, the game did not begin due to weather until 1:50AM EST (10:50PM PST) due to a rain delay. In his last start on Sept. 7 against the Diamondbacks at home, Kershaw wasn't anywhere near his usual self - allowing four runs in only three and two-thirds innings of work.
- Cueto was given a lead on a shocking swing. The Dodgers this year have seen a greater percentage of four-seam fastballs than any team in baseball (40.5%), and they rank 23rd against those pitches in batting average (.262).
Potential upside: Florida shows that its season-opening struggles were merely a product of a tough matchup and a better-prepared Michigan team. That seemed to seal the Dodgers' fate. The Giants will have little sympathy for their rivals after losing back-to-back games to the Chicago White Sox while being outscored 21-2. Los Angeles needs this. "Arians is going to have to get imaginative with his game plans now, if Johnson misses a few games". "We needed this one". They would combine to allow two runs on three hits and a walk, retiring just one hitter apiece.
Marathon weather delays have become commonplace in baseball; clubs are reluctant to hand out rain checks to fans, and they're reluctant to schedule makeup doubleheaders, even separate-admission ones.
SAN FRANCISCO With the Dodgers in an epic descent from unbeatable to hapless, the search for scapegoats is on. When he got back to home plate, Adrian Gonzalez was waiting to celebrate.
"We certainly made it interesting tonight", Roberts said of the game.
The Giants (57-90) closed within 4-3 against Stripling in the seventh inning on a fielder's choice ground ball by Pence, scoring Span. But Posey and Hundley struck out.
Los Angeles Dodger fans, your long national nightmare is over as the Dodgers won their first game, breaking an 11 game winning streak their worst such streak since moving to Los Angeles.
Since then, there's been nothing but Ws, let alone a tie.
The newly acquired Yu Darvish has struggled with 13 earned runs in his last three starts, equating to a 9.48 ERA during the losing stretch. Take Los Angeles on the run line.
It was generously scored a double.
But enough about the Dodgers' slouch to the playoffs.
Cueto was pulled at that point, having allowed four runs and six hits in 3 2/3 innings.
Kershaw also has an opportunity to become just the third active pitcher to record 300 or more strikeouts against one opponent.
There were two problems with my trip to the Bay Area.
Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen gave up a leadoff double to Nolan Arenado in the top of the ninth, and Arenado scored on Gerardo Parra's RBI double that popped out of the glove of center fielder Chris Taylor, making it 6-4. Los Angeles came away with a 1-0 win in San Diego that night.
"It was a full team effort", Kershaw said. This late season wobble could signify that an early exit from the playoffs could happen yet again.
- Royals announce 2018 schedule: Home opener March 29 vs. White Sox
- San Lorenzo ante Lanús
- 2018 will feature the earliest Opening Day in baseball history
- Colombia continúa la erradicación de cultivos de coca
- (AUDIO) Guanipa desconoce anuncio de Francia sobre reanudación de diálogo
- Llega Joseph Acabá a la Estación Espacial Internacional
- Peña Nieto baja magnitud y declara emergencia en Chiapas
- La ONU denuncia un clásico ejemplo "de limpieza étnica" en Birmania
- Apple may bring facial recognition to mainstream — The Latest
- IPhone X: 8 New Features You'll Love & 3 You'll Hate