Barcelona after the disastrous start of the season, and the unconditional defeat in the Super Cup of Spain from Real quickly recovered.
But Messi was far from done.
But once he found room to work, Messi picked Buffon's Juventus apart - to take some revenge from last year's elimination and continue his superb start to the current season.
JuventusLa Joya to come to party once again?
It is expected that the Barca's Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi will push their balls to the net goals as early of the match today.
Despite the distraction of a chaotic summer off the field and ongoing calls for club president Josep Maria Bartomeu to step down, Barca have started La Liga in fine form. While Chiellini is still there, he is the only one remaining of the fabled BBC with Barzagli approaching the fag end of his career.
"I just think about working hard and improving all the time". He gets dozens of goals per year, especially in the decisive games. "It is strange to see Barcelona with new players this year, they are usually the same 11".
Messi may have waited more than a decade to score past the legendary Italian 'keeper, but he didn't have to wait too much longer for his second goal.
"He's an important player in his team, in Europe and in the world, we know that", said the coach.
"I value it a lot, especially in how it will help us qualify from the group".
If Higuain is banned by UEFA for his gesture, he would likely miss Juve's next Champions League match which is against Olympiacos.
Sporting Clube de PortugalOne to watch out for!
The manager Ernesto Valverde is here as new for Barcelona in this competition.
Messi helped make it 2-0 in the 56th when his dangerous low cross was cleared by substitute Stefano Sturaro back to Rakitic, who fired it home.
"Great night and a good result to begin our European journey", he wrote.
- Trump: 'Deplorables' Came Back to Haunt Hillary
- León se impone por goleada de 3-1 al Pachuca
- Defensa y Justicia y Unión chocan en Florencio Varela
- Diamondbacks beat Giants 3-2 for Ray's 5th straight win
- Exige Oposición garantías para diálogo
- Suspenden vuelos entre Quito y Miami por el huracán Irma
- Tropas iraquíes liberan del Daesh a la ciudad de Akashat
- Lanzamientos de Norcorea calman beligerancia de EU
- Gobierno venezolano ya vislumbra un acuerdo de convivencia con la oposición
- Neymar changing the culture of PSG