It's clear that this crossroads of sports and politics isn't a place we're leaving anytime soon.
"He's very courageous", said A's outfielder Khris Davis, who hit his 40th homer Saturday. Part of that comes after team meetings between Snitker and top brass.
What's also impressive is how he went about it - he spoke with both management and his teammates about his plans and purpose. That said, the Bay Area is becoming the epicenter for sports-related activism.
"The point of my kneeling is not to disrespect our military, it's not to disrespect our Constitution, it's not to disrespect this country", he said after the game. He knelt, hand over heart, during the playing of the national anthem last evening. "I felt like every fiber of my being was telling me that he needed a brother today". And my kneeling, the way I did it, was to symbolize the fact that I'm kneeling for a cause.
Maxwell, a 26-year-old rookie, is the first MLB player to kneel during the anthem, following in the footsteps of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who began kneeling during the anthem ahead of the 2016 NFL season. "This wasn't an emotional thing just today for him". It's the posture of man who loves his country, but thinks it could be better. "We all respect it, support it and appreciate it". So let's do away once and for all with the silly assertion that those who protest during the anthem are "disrespecting" the military or the flag.
Maxwell was born in Wiesbaden, Germany, when his father, who also is named Bruce, was stationed there with the Army.
"It did take a while in baseball, I think mainly because the other sports that do that are predominantly black". Now, the first Major League Baseball player has dropped to his knee during the national anthem. The easy answer is that it's an effective forum, with lots of people to bear witness.
Maxwell was not in the lineup because he is going through the concussion protocol.
Terry Collins of the Mets: "I'm not a big political guy, not by a big stretch of the imagination, but I've been blessed enough to travel the world and I respect our country immensely".
Cotton (9-10) struck out six and allowed one walk as he won his fourth straight decision.
- Trump declaró a Puerto Rico como zona de "gran desastre"
- Int'l conference devoted to "innovative" space research opens in Australia — Spotlight
- Gobierno aprobó $9,08 billones para construcción del metro de Bogotá
- Arquero holandés hizo una cuádruple atajada en 6 segundos — YouTube
- ME-O insiste en operación política en su contra: "A Piñera no se le investiga como a mí"
- POLÉMICO | Mathieu se acuerda de Bartomeu en la previa del Sporting-Barcelona
- La cifra de muertos por el terremoto en México sube a 324
- Con Garavano, repudian las tomas ya Liberatori
- Persiste cruce de amenazas por Corea del Norte
- Moldes afirmó que "De Vido está en una situación de privilegio"