After sharing his updated plans to hit Mars and the Moon with the International Astronautical Congress on Thursday night, the Tesla and SpaceX head honcho unveiled a plan to shoot passengers "anywhere on Earth in under an hour" using rockets.
"That's not a typo", Musk said.
Two years later, the first ship carrying crews would arrive, he said.
Don't get too excited, though.
Musk revealed more details on the spacecraft - the BFR, or Big Falcon Rocket, which inside the company is nicknamed the "Big F-king Rocket".
Information on passenger experience, travel regulations and the overall landing process are still lacking.
Scott Hubbard, an adjunct professor at Stanford University and a former director of NASA's Ames Research Center, calls it "a bold transportation architecture with aspirational dates". If we can do that, then all the resources ... can be applied to this system.
Elon Musk predicts rockets will one day be able to fly people from New York to Shanghai in just 39 minutes. He displayed the design of a ship designed to accommodate about 100 people in 40 cabins and, to add comfort, will feature large common areas and an entertainment system.
If SpaceX can indeed make BFR "fully reusable", he said, "the cost barrier to human Mars exploration could be significantly reduced".
How much would this venture cost? Fewer engines would be needed: 31 versus the originally envisioned 42.
The vessel then rockets through Earth's atmosphere, traversing the planet at a maximum speed of 16,777 miles per hour (Concorde jets have a maximum speed of only 1,354 miles an hour). So confident is Musk in the BFR, he said SpaceX plans to ultimately put almost its entire focus on manufacturing the vehicle, with the rocket eventually replacing all of the company's existing rockets.
Both the new rocket and spaceship are currently theoretical, but the billionaire technologist hopes to begin construction within nine months.
- The Reinvented Nokia 3310 Is Getting 3G Support
- Uproar over NFL protests was a long time coming
- Reincorporación de excombatientes FARC avanza de forma positiva — Santos
- That time Donald Trump was Hugh Hefner's muse for a Playboy cover
- Equipo Verde gana 7-1 Juego de Estrellas en Culiacán
- "Real Madrid hizo una oferta por mí" — Guardado
- Banega anotó en la victoria de Sevilla
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus vs Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus: Which is best?
- Motor racing-Raikkonen fails to start in Malaysia
- Neymar guía el triunfo del PSG