Commissioners voted 15-1 in favor of repealing the so-called soda tax.
"What has happened in Cook County and places like Philadelphia should be a warning sign to any community considering a beverage tax to balance its budget", the coalition said in a statement October 11.
Low-tax advocates cheered the decision as a blow to the "nanny-state crusade".
The repeal of a sweetened beverage tax in the Chicago area on Wednesday renewed calls for Philadelphia to end its own, more expensive tax.
The proposal would phase out the tax on December 1, at the start of the new fiscal year. "Evaluations of the first such USA tax, in Berkeley, Calif., and another from Mexico have shown decreased consumption of sugar drinks and increased consumption of healthy beverages, while providing needed revenues for other public health measures". David Goldenberg, a spokesman for the industry-funded Can the Tax Coalition said that Consumer indignation is off the charts.
After delays related to a lawsuit from the Illinois Retail Merchants Association, the tax on sugary beverages went into effect this past August.
Collections under Cook County's soda tax commenced on August 2, quickly kicking up a public backlash.
"Nothing good has come from Cook County's beverage tax". For instance, he said, a sweet bottled drink would be taxed while a similar beverage from a barista would be exempt.
When the tax originally passed, eight commissioners voted for it and eight voted against it, with Preckwinkle casting the tiebreaking vote to pass the measure. Krieger further criticized efforts by "Big Soda" to oppose the tax.
On Oct. 5, Preckwinkle argued the tax was needed to close gaps in her proposed $5.4 billion budget for FY 2018.
"It had nothing to do with health - everything to do with revenue" Goldberg said.
- Tiroteo deja al menos 5 heridos graves en Suecia
- EEUU: Googleó "cómo robar un banco" y siguió las instrucciones. Terminó mal
- Así atacaban a huevazos a la camioneta que trasladaba al presidente
- Paolo Guerrero explica la razón por la que pateó directo al arco
- Este jueves se celebra el Día de la Raza
- California will allow self-driving cars without humans inside from 2018
- Rajoy da 5 días a Cataluña para aclarar "declaración"
- La Casa Rosada rechaza la independencia catalana
- Meade voto por EPN en el 2012 siendo panista
- Suspenden temporalmente títulos obtenidos de seis cirujanos plásticos colombianos