A soldier from the Korean People's Army (KPA) has defected to the South at Panmunjom, Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said on Monday.
South Korea says North Korean soldiers shot at and injured a fellow soldier who was crossing a border village to defect to the South.
The soldier crossed to South Korea from the North Korean side of the heavily guarded Joint Security Area (JSA) to Freedom House in the South, according to the JCS.
"All units and government organs this morning were instructed to submit new documents detailing their tracking of itinerant residents under their remit and Ministry of State Security and MPS personnel are initiating joint surveillance of residents known to frequently move to different regions for work", the source continued.
North Korean soldiers have occasionally defected to South Korea across the border.
The South Korea-ASEAN summit was attended by the leaders of all 10 ASEAN member countries - Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
According to Star and Stripes, South Korean investigators initially believed that "A" was attempting to enter North Korea for "political purposes".
"Emergency People's Unit (inminban, a type of neighborhood watch) meetings addressing Trump's visit to South Korea were suddenly called late yesterday after dinner".
In a letter sent to Democrats on November 7, Jouas wrote: 'The 28,500 U.S. Armed Forces personnel in South Korea are vastly outnumbered by North Korean forces, as well as [South Korean] forces that will conduct the overwhelming majority of the fighting. This makes the area a popular stop for visitors from both sides.
Interested in North Korea?
"Since it was an area exposed to the North, we had to crawl toward there to get him out", the official added.
The UN Security Council has unanimously ratcheted up sanctions on North Korea over its nuclear and ballistic missile programs since 2006.
His defection caused North Korean and U.S. and South Korean soldiers of the United Nations Command to open fire at each other. In 1998, a North Korean solider fled to South Korea via Panmunjom.
- Karim Benzema: "Con lo de gato se me fue la olla..."
- Ministerio de Cultura evalúa daños causados por siniestro — Incendio en Ventarrón
- 2,5 millones han recibido notificación de bono navideño
- MP detiene a 10 funcionarios de Pdvsa por irregularidades
- Disney's Talks to Buy 20th Century Fox Aren't Dead Yet
- Escándalo entre periodistas en los Martín Fierro por Alfredo Leuco
- Deportes Valdivia supera a CDLS con 2 -1
- Cholo Simeone, mejor entrenador de 2016
- Carlos Beltran retires from baseball after 20 seasons
- México recibiría tres partidos de Grandes Ligas en mayo