He pitched just three years in the majors, most recently going 2-5 with a 6.44 ERA over 10 starts with the Texas Rangers back in 2014.
Mikolas received overtures from several teams and was at least once identified as a target of the Cubs this winter. Mikolas' salary in the second year could climb if he meets innings pitched incentives in 2018, and the Cardinals see him as a contender for a starting spot.
Stay tuned to 101ESPN and 101Sports.com for plenty of Cardinals coverage and analysis throughout the offseason.
As the Giancarlo Stanton sweepstakes remain in a holding pattern, the Cardinals have signed a pitcher out of Japan. The Rays are also reportedly looking to trim payroll, and the Gold Glove winner is due $86 million through 2022, $94 million if an option is exercised for 2023.
The Rangers released Mikolas after the 2014 season. He's 31-13 with a 2.18 ERA in 62 games.
"Command of all my pitches". For now, we'll await other potential moves. "Here it is. It's a little more of a chess match as a starter - something I really got a grasp on". The increased depth could also allow some of the Cardinals' young starters more time to develop in the Minors or by pitching out of the bullpen. He made a strong start in his debut against the Marlins, going 8 innings of three-hit ball, while only giving up one walk and picking up five strikeouts.
He is best known stateside for dousing a gecko in Mountain Dew and eating it, which led to the nickname "The Lizard King". As a member of the Padres organization and in a Padres uniform, Mikolas ate a live lizard as his teammates watched. There's video of the event.
The 6-5, 220-pound native of Jupiter, Fla. was a combined 4-6 with a 5.32 ERA in 37 games (10 starts) in the majors with San Diego (2012-13) and Texas (2014).
He's even moved closer to the ballpark and lives there with his wife and their baby daughter. Mikolas, 29, became a free agent after three standout years in Nippon Professional Baseball, and that spurred interest among multiple Major League teams this Hot Stove season.
- Organizaciones sociales y gremios se movilizan contra las reformas
- Revelan detalles de la autopsia de Chester Bennington
- Aprueba el pleno del Senado expedir Ley Fintech
- Pareja y niña perecen por fuga de gas, en Iztapalapa
- RNC renews support for Roy Moore's Senate campaign
- Aprueban fusión de Interacciones con Banorte
- Anuncian un miércoles inestable y con 30 grados de máxima
- El domingo comenzó con lluvias y seguirá inestable todo el día
- Istanbul to host OIC emergency meeting — Presidential spokesman
- EU's top diplomat warns Trump against changing Jerusalem's status