Syrian state media on Monday said Israel had fired missiles at a Syrian military facility in the Damascus countryside, adding that Syrian air defence systems had intercepted three of the missiles.
Referring to the changing dynamic in Iraq after the Kurdish independence referendum and the Revolutionary Guard's most recent presence in Kirkuk, he said: "You need to only look to the past few weeks and the efforts of the Iranians to exert influence in northern Iraq, in addition to other places in Iraq, to see that Iranian efforts to be the hegemonic power throughout the Middle East continues to increase".
While Syria and Israel, which have never signed a peace treaty, have repeatedly exchanged multiple tit-for-tat attacks, Netanyahu along with the country's defense minister stated that Tel Aviv is free to act in Syria for the sake of its security.
In September, the BBC revealed satellite imagery which purported to show that Iran had established a military base with several buildings which likely house soldiers and military vehicles.
According to the report, which was based on a western intelligence source, the Iranian base is some 50 kilometers north of Israel's Golan Heights.
"I think it is higher than people think because of Iran's continued push through the region".
Israel has long viewed Iran as its enemy number one. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been consistent in his opposition to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, saying it does not go far enough to prevent Tehran from getting a nuclear weapon and does not prevent the country from developing ballistic missiles. I don't want to tell you by the year or by the month. The agreement, announced in a joint US-Russian statement Saturday, affirms a call for "the reduction, and ultimate elimination" of foreign fighters from southern Syria. Another witness said thick smoke could be seen rising over the area.
But according to an unnamed Israeli official, under the deal, militias associated with Iran would be allowed to maintain positions as close as five to seven kilometers (3.1-4.3 miles) to the border in some areas, Reuters reported.
- Detienen a narcotraficante más buscado de Río de Janeiro en operación policial
- Champions: los seis clubes 'Top' que podrían cruzarse en octavos
- La Corte falló que Sala siga con preventiva pero de manera domiciliaria
- 'Terrible´ Morales al Salón de la Fama
- Cesta OPEP cerró el lunes en 61,46 dólares
- La bióloga Julia Carabias recibe la medalla Belisario Domínguez
- Lautaro Martínez arregló con Atlético de Madrid
- Grieta en el jurado de Showmatch: Pampita contra todos
- México, sin margen de maniobra para competir con reforma fiscal de Trump
- Edison Flores le dio clasificación al Aalborg con golazo — YouTube