Voting prematurely forces Democrats facing re-election in tough districts to go on the record about their desire to impeach Trump, leaving them with a sort of Catch-22: If they vote to kill the resolution, they risk alienating the blue half of their voters; if they vote to proceed, they risk alienating the other half. Only 58 Democrats supported the proposal while the others believed that it was a distraction in a Republican-controlled Congress.
Lawmakers are allowed under House rules to offer "privileged" motions on impeachment.
That means the actual question of impeachment wouldn't get a vote, according to NPR. The articles of impeachment he brought against Trump in October accused the president of "fueling an alt-right hate machine" that's "causing immediate injury to American society".
Democrats Nancy Pelosi and Steny Hoyer, the House Minority Leader and Democratic Whip, said it's not the time to consider impeachment. It does detail Trump's dalliances with the far right - including his failure to quickly denounce the white-nationalist marchers in Charlottesville - and his recent tweeting of anti-Muslim videos circulated by a British extremist group, as well as public acts and statements denigrating various groups and individuals.
"We ought to let Mr. Mueller complete his full investigation rather than engage in what would essentially be a public relations stunt", said Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Mich). "In doing this, hatred disguised as acceptable political correctness has festered in our body politic and polluted our discourse to our detriment". It is not about Republicans, it is about the fate of our Republic.
While virtually all Republicans and many Democrats are expected to vote to table Green's resolution, a few Democrats said Wednesday they will vote for Green's measure.
- Windows 10 on Snapdragon Reaches a Milestone
- Si la llevan presa a Cristina Kirchner se arma quilombo
- Fergie confesó que sufría de psicosis y demencia por "consumo de drogas"
- Se confirma el estreno de la octava temporada de Game of Thrones
- 76Th anniversary of Pearl Harbor attack
- Barcelona set a new record Champions League
- Cholo Simeone, mejor entrenador de 2016
- Tropas israelíes se enfrentan a manifestantes palestinos en Cisjordania y Gaza
- Senador de EU dimitirá tras escándalo sexual
- Fernando Esteche se entregó a la Justicia — Causa AMIA