It is one of more than 60 places learning their Sam's Club store is closing its doors with seemingly no explanation.
Walmart plans to close 63 Sam's Club location and convert up to 12 of the affected clubs to e-commerce fulfillment centers.
This all happened on the same day the Sam's Club parent company, Walmart, announced it was raising its starting wage and giving bonuses to employees. The Bentonville, Arkansas-based company said it will record a charge of about 14 cents a share related to the closures, mostly in the fourth quarter. He said some employees would be re-hired at other Walmart locations or at the newly created e-commerce distribution sites.
Walmart, the world's largest private employer, is boosting its starting salary for U.S. workers to $11 an hour, handing out one-time cash bonuses to those who don't benefit from the pay hike and expanding its maternity and parental leave benefits. Christine Marzan felt the store might have done better if it had a gasoline station, as the Novi and Southfield locations do. "Wal-Mart is the latest company to make such an announcement, directly [as a] result of the tax cuts". There are roughly 150 employees at each location that is set to be closed.
"We buy other things from here, oh my God I'm shocked", said Alan Annane, a Sam's Club customer.
The federal minimum hourly wage has been $7.25 since 2009.
Stores across the country reportedly shuttered without warning as part of the closures.
- WalMart announced Thursday they're closing 10 percent of their Sam's Club Warehouse stores.
A sign out front said it is reopening Friday morning before officially closing January 26.
"You're just seeing so much change in retail right now". I'll be lucky to get $200.
"After a thorough review, it became clear we had built clubs in some locations that impacted other clubs, and where population had not grown as anticipated", said Sam's Club Chief Executive John Furner in a memo to staff Thursday. Beginning in February 2018, Walmart employees will receive a new benefit that provides financial assistance for adopting a child. "The benefits are significant, including benefits for adoption for the first time and increasing the leave", she said.
Walmart (WMT) has raised its minimum wage to $11 an hour.
- El Arsenal niega haber recibido una oferta del Manchester City por Alexis
- Trump: "Probablemente tengo una muy buena relación con Kim Jong Un"
- Pobreza, un peligro: Díaz de León
- Durante el fin de semana continuará el calor y se aguardan tormentas
- Gobierno desmiente que censo electrónico se utilizará para fraude electoral
- Fernández viraliza video que invita al paro cívico
- Las redes 'explotan' contra Angelina, la llaman: 'rompehogares'
- Ministro de la Presidencia critica a Leonardo Martínez por politizar el Dakar
- Exvicepresidente de Cataluña seguirá en prisión
- Trump dialogará con Norcorea "en el momento apropiado"