Chelsea were linked with several strikers who could offer an aerial threat, including AS Roma's Edin Dzeko, Peter Crouch of Stoke City and Tottenham Hotspur's Fernando Llorente, before landing Giroud following Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's arrival at Arsenal from Borussia Dortmund.
Giroud couldn't prevent Arsenal slipping to a seventh league loss of the season, which leaves them eight points outside the top four.
He becomes Arsenal's most expensive signing, overtaking the £52.5m purchase of Alexandre Lacazette last summer as negotiations between Arsenal and Dortmund continued for several weeks.
The French boss, speaking after the 3-1 Swansea defeat, replies: "Yes, it's good news".
However, like Dortmund, Chelsea are also unwilling to let their striker leave the club without finding a replacement in due course.
"I always said that I will be happy in both cases if the club add players or I work with these players".
The 24-year-old, who represented his country at Euro 2016, hopes regular first-team action will help his chances of featuring more prominently at this year's World Cup in Russia.
The situation is similar to the one Arsenal faced in August with the Alexis Sanchez saga, although the roles are reversed.
"There is only one day - it is not the best situation for me, for the player but the transfer market in general is not simple".
- Antes del 28 de febrero, todos los familiares de funcionarios deberán renunciar
- Zulma Lobato fue brutalmente golpeada en Mar del Plata
- Víctimas de Mark Salling no tendrán compensación monetaria
- Colombia apoya investigación de atentado con carro bomba en Ecuador
- Gana Shell bloques de Ronda 2.4
- El uruguayo Diego Lugano puso fin a su carrera
- Albertengo no se entrenó y se iría al Monterrey
- Campeón Tomateros Culiacán anuncia refuerzos para Serie del Caribe 2018
- Danilo revela ya hay un pre acuerdo sobre Venezuela
- "Estoy dispuesto a jugar donde me necesiten" — Reynoso