The Germany international has been sidelined with a back problem recently.
"Klopp has highlighted the positions of players he needs to bring in".
Juventus are the side linked to the player most frequently.
More immediately, Can's absence will be a big blow for the Reds as they seek to finish the 2017-18 campaign on a high.
According to Jones, Can is now battling to make this summer's FIFA World Cup, where he was expected to be part of a Germany squad seeking to defend their crown.
The 24-year old midfielder was struggling to be fit for the Champions League tie against Manchester City last Wednesday night with a back injury, with Klopp saying he was "very close" to playing. Acres of print space, and hours of broadcast time, are devoted to how the leading coaches work on players' minds, preparing them for the challenge ahead, when so much of the game remains about the heart, the visceral and the land that analytics forgot.
The German, who is out of contract in the summer and widely expected to leave Anfield, has been out of the Liverpool starting XI since the end of March though had been expected to make a recovery.
Liverpool have long given up hope of keeping hold of the German and Jurgen Klopp has been actively searching the market for a replacement to the former Bayer Leverkusen midfielder.
Juventus chief executive Giuseppe Marotta wants Can to decide whether or not he is joining the Serie A club in the next 10 days, amid rival interest from Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.
- Santos se reúne con Rodrigo Londoño, líder de la FARC
- Actor de Deadpool fue detenido por alertar sobre amenaza de bomba falsa
- Transmitirán el concierto de Radiohead en vivo por streaming
- ¿Fue penal? La polémica jugada del gol agónico del Real Madrid
- Lewis Hamilton tries to bury hatchet with Max Verstappen — Formula One
- Trump prepara una ofensiva contra Siria
- Apple logra alimentar el 100 % de sus operaciones con energía renovable
- Debate semanal, propone Meade a presidenciables
- Atribuyen al "Clan del Golfo" muerte de ocho policías colombianos en Urabá
- "El Bronco" acusa a AMLO de manejar "la mafia del poder"