The FBI director, who until his firing last May led an investigation into possible ties between Russia and the Trump campaign, said it was 'stunning' to think Russia could have damaging information about an American president. He stopped short of calling for Trump's impeachment because whether he remains in office "should be up to the American people".
Comey writes that Trump's months-long effort to curry his fealty gave him "flashbacks to my earlier career as a prosecutor against the mob".
Comey, speaking to ABC News' George Stephanopoulos, touched on many of the scandals that have plagued the Trump administration over the past 16 months, including the Russia dossier and the litany of sexual misconduct allegations leveled at the president. Based on early excerpts, we've compiled some of the book's most pivotal takeaways.
One source noted that Schiller testified he eventually left Trump's hotel room door and could not say for sure what happened during the remainder of the night. Regarding a private dinner with Trump where the president demanded loyalty, Comey compared it to the Mafia induction ceremony of Sammy (The Bull) Gravano.
Trump wrote in his first remarks since advance copies surfaced of Comey's upcoming book that includes blistering descriptions of Trump and his presidency. "And that's not a policy statement", Comey said. "Again, I don't care what your views are on guns or immigration or taxes". The document claimed that Trump had watched the prostitutes urinate on themselves in the same Moscow suite that President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama had stayed in "as a way of soiling the bed", Comey writes.
- Comey found something strange about the president's attitude toward Russia. And given Mr Comey is one of Mr Mueller's star witnesses, it's unsurprising he's leaving those final determinations to others.
Comey was also forceful in his condemnation of Trump's treatment of women and his embrace of white supremacists in the aftermath of last summer's neo-Nazi rally in Virginia.
"I hope folks read the whole thing and find it useful". That critic is not just any critic-it's Michiko Kakutani, the former chief book critic at the paper.
In the upcoming book, which will be published Tuesday, Comey characterizes Mr. Trump's leadership as "ego driven and about personal loyalty". "They were keen to emphasize that there was no impact on the vote, meaning that the Russians hadn't elected Trump".
Trump fired Comey in May, an action that helped lead to the appointment of Special Counsel Robert Mueller. "If he didn't know he was doing something improper, why did he kick out the attorney general and the vice president of the United States and the leaders of the intelligence community?"
Still, he says it strikes him as unlikely, but something that he can't say without high confidence. Comey asks. "It's certainly some evidence of obstruction of justice".
Comey was in Los Angeles at the time and said that as he flew back to Washington, he drank red wine out of a paper coffee cup while looking "out at the lights of the country I love so much".
Comey also described his conversation with Mr. Trump regarding the allegations in the unverified dossier authored by former British spy Christopher Steele.
- Ataque contra Siria tuvo falsos motivos y falsos resultados — Embajada rusa
- AMLO responde a señalamientos de Meade por agresión de CNTE en Oaxaca
- Pierde el equilibrio y cae en vías del Metro
- CDMX contará con la policía más grande y equipada de México — Barrales
- British PM summons Cabinet to discuss Syria — The Latest
- Selección peruana: inauguraron el estadio donde jugará ante Francia
- ¿Es realmente Fantasy Fútbol un juego de habilidades?
- Comey ve a Donald Trump "moralmente incapacitado" para la presidencia de EEUU
- Dos niños mueren calcinados tras incendio en Valparaíso
- Un regalo para los pueblos americanos: "Raúl Castro y nuestra América"