Lopetegui will take over Zidane's duties after the World Cup.
"I've got my feet up and am feeling good", Zidane told AFP at the inauguration of a playground in Saint Denis, the north Parisian suburb that is home to the Stade de France where he starred for the French team that won the 1998 World Cup.
The 51-year-old represented Barcelona as a player for three years but will now take charge of their bitter rivals.
It was 28 years ago, on April 28, 1990, in a derby against Atletico Madrid, which was played on match day 37 at the Estadio Vicente Calderon.
On Tuesday afternoon, Madrid unexpectedly announced that Lopetegui will be the man to replace Zidane following the conclusion of Spain's World Cup campaign.
Lopetegui spent part of his footballing career at Real Madrid, but only managed one senior appearance for the club. United have grown dependent on him.
The sad thing is, United supporters couldn't even really begrudge De Gea's decision if he wanted to leave.
The club got two or three top seasons out of Cristiano Ronaldo before he traded Manchester for Madrid. The £80 million transfer fee, which was a world record at the time, could go down as one of the biggest bargains given all he has helped them achieve since.
Real Madrid are expected to spend big this summer, with club president, Florentino Perez keen on landing new players. I stopped to make a parenthesis.
Camacho initially took charge of Madrid in the 1998 off-season but quickly departed without overseeing a competitive fixture, citing a lack of confidence from the board. "We want it to bring back a second title".
Get the latest World Cup news updates. De Gea doesn't come across as the sort of player who would be swayed by the former two options, but the last one may have an impact. Have your say in the comments section below.
- Netflix lanza las primeras imágenes de House of Cards sin Kevin Spacey
- El martes se conocerá la sanción al hincha de Nacional
- Semana clave para el proyecto que legaliza el aborto
- 4 niños muertos en situación de atrincheramiento — Trágico final
- En Francia aseguran que Griezmann no irá al Barça
- Ariana Grande se compromete con el actor Pete Davidson
- Ortega quiere tener a nicaragüenses "rehenes" de terror, según excomandante
- La respuesta de De la Calle a la carta de Gustavo Petro
- Julen Lopetegui será el nuevo entrenador del Real Madrid
- Reglamentaron el pago en tres cuotas del consumo de gas